West Fraser Timber is a diversified North American wood products company producing southern yellow pine lumber and wood chips across the Southern US and Western Canada. We are the largest lumber producer in North America, with 21 lumber-producing locations throughout the U.S. South. This position is located at West Fraser’s mill in Perry, FL.
General Description/Essential Functions
Responsibilities include providing support in the following areas:
- Provides direct support to the Mill Manager and the leadership team
- Assists with determining root causes of hourly turnover by conducting exit interviews and develops plans to reduce
- Assists in the hiring process by coordinating job postings both internally and on external job boards; performs pre-screening telephone interviews, assists with in-person interviews and reference checks and pre-employment drug screenings for hourly positions
- Builds an effective recruiting, interviewing and selection process to hire quality hourly talent by developing and maintaining relationships with area trade schools, other local sources, and community outreach.
- Verifies all new hire paperwork for completion and accuracy; conducts new hire orientation
- Recommends new approaches to effect continual improvements in department efficiency and streamlining of processes
- Maintains hourly personnel files in compliance with applicable state and federal requirements
- Answers routine employee inquiries; interprets, administers and communicates company policies and procedures
- Prepares paperwork required to place employees on payroll and processes employee status changes
- Assists corporate office with the annual Open Enrollment and Wellness processes at the mills
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings as required
- Maintains HRIS records and compiles reports from the database as needed
- Ensures compliance with West Fraser policies and procedures
- Assists in investigations as needed
- Works on other priorities as assigned by the Mill Manager, Controller or the Regional Human Resources Manager
Required Education, Experience & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree or Human Resources experience equivalent
- Experience recruiting and onboarding hourly employees including recruiting at community events as the face of the company
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills, filing and record-keeping skills, and ability to multi-task
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Ability to handle confidential information and to maintain a high level of legal and ethical standards
- Experience in a manufacturing environment
- PHR or SHRM-CP
- Experience in benefits administration in health and welfare, savings and pension
- Approximately 5% travel required
All persons meeting that criteria above are encouraged to apply, however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be accepted at the mill office. No phone inquiries, please.
West Fraser is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
High School or better.